Friday, November 2, 2012

Dying cotton yarn

Dying cotton yarn

I have seen a video on dying cotton yarn and wanted to try it. 

How to Dye Cotton Yarn with a Tulip Tie Dye Kit



I got some Sugars and Cream white yarn.    
I had some left over dye from dying t-shirts with my girls. 
So I used those colors. Red, black and green. 
 

 I unwound it and and laid it on plastic wrap and a pan. 
Just in-case the dye leaked through.



I then started to adding the dye. I did not have enough
to cover it all. But I did want some white parts anyways. 
After I got it all on. I then pushed down on it. To make sure it 
was all the way through out the whole part I wanted. 


 Then I covered it up for 3 hours and let it soak in. 
I did not want really dark colors. So I did not do it as long
as I would with my t-shirts.


Then I rinsed it out till there was no dye coming out and hung it up 
to air dry. 

I then used my machine to wind it all up into a ball again. 
When I was done. I threw it into a laundry bag and washed it. 
Then threw it into the dryer. 


I have started to make wash cloths out of this pretty yarn. 
I love the way it turned out and can't wait to do it again 
in the near future. 





If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Happy Crafting!!!!

2 comments: